Natural Gas Department
The Elizabethtown Natural Gas Department manages the City owned-and-operated natural gas distribution system. The system consists of more than 200 miles of distribution piping and serves approximately 8,500 customers in Hardin and Meade counties. The Natural Gas Department operates and maintains the gas system with the highest regard for safety.
As a customer or someone who lives or works near our pipelines and facilities, your safety is our number one priority. To ensure this, the City has programs to monitor the natural gas distribution system including, but not limited to, regularly scheduled compliance inspections, leakage surveys and corrosion control.
- Inspection of new and replacement customer piping systems, appliances and equipment free of charge. Call 270-763-4215 during normal business hours.
Public Works Administrative Building
301 Waterworks Drive
Elizabethtown, KY 42701
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
To identify locations of underground piping and facilities in rural areas, pipeline markers are used. These markers are typically located at road and railroad crossings as well as along the pipeline right of ways. The markers display:
- The material transported in the line
- The name of the pipeline operator
- A 24-hour emergency telephone number
The marker does not show exact location of the line. It does not indicate depth or pipeline pressure.
Statistics indicate that damage from excavation related activities is the leading cause of pipeline accidents. If you are planning to excavate for any reason, follow these guidelines:
- Keep any above ground piping painted.
- Avoid planting landscape close to your meter loop. Roots can damage the coating on underground pipe. It can also restrict personnel from reading the meter and performing routine maintenance.
- Avoid putting stress on your meter loops or attaching any metallic material because this can cause interference with cathodic protection.
- Avoid placing the meter where it will be susceptible to third-party damage. Call the Natural Gas Department concerning meter location, piping systems and meter protections at 270-763-4215.
If your meter has been replaced due to routine maintenance and gas service left off, or if you suspect any problem, please call 270-763-4215 to have your service restored or to report your concerns.
Natural gas is colorless, odorless and lighter than air. An odorant has been added giving it a very distinct smell so a leak can be readily detected. Other indicators of a possible natural gas leak include but are not limited to:
- Evacuate to an area upwind from the suspected leak immediately
- Do not start motor vehicles or turn on electrical equipment including lights near the suspected leak
- Do not light a match or create any other source of ignition
- Warn others to stay away from the area
- Call 911 to notify fire and police departments once you have reached a safe area
- Call the City of Elizabethtown Natural Gas Department to report the possible leak at 270-763-4215
Contact the Natural Gas Department for information on the availability of natural gas services and applicable fees. Main extension estimates are available by request. Call 270-763-4215.
Inside City Limits
Outside City Limits
After hours inspection