Job Title: Engineering Technician II
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE JOB:
This is a responsible position involving technical, clerical, administrative, and public relations skills. This position works under the direction of the City Engineer providing technical services for the public works and utility activities of the City. This position requires work in the office and outdoors. Computer literacy, computer-aided design and drafting are mandatory. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Professional is helpful.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
Under the direction of the City Engineer, perform engineering design for utility, stormwater and roadway improvements. Assist in the review of improvement plans for subdivisions and site development projects. Assist in the inspection of subdivisions, developments, and new and existing infrastructure (e.g. water, sewer, street, drainage). Assist in surveying new and existing infrastructure. Prepare engineering plans and cost estimates for review by City Engineer. Conduct tests on new and existing infrastructure. Communicate verbally and in writing to other City personnel and contractors, developers, and the public. Assist in GIS maintenance and utility map information (in both paper and computerized formats). Perform other work as assigned.
- Degree in Engineering or Engineering Technology, or a combination of significant technical or construction experience with a high school diploma or equivalent GED.
- Possess a valid Kentucky Drivers License.
- Ability to read, write legibly, and communicate effectively in English.
- Ability to follow written and oral directions and instructions.
- Physically capable of performing essential job functions.
- Computer literate.
- Ability to meet and communicate with the public in an effective and tactful manner.
- Neat in appearance, of good moral character, and not convicted of a felony crime.
- Pass drug screening.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements or duties does not exclude other work that may be required.
- Perform specific duties as defined in “Example of duties”.
- Lift objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Operate surveying equipment.
- Utilize engineering plans and maps.
- Prepare engineering plans, maps, and drawings using CAD software and manual methods.
- Use computer-based design software to perform civil engineering design.
- Physically access work zones to inspect construction of utilities, roads, and other infrastructure.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Work overtime as required by supervisor.