Assistant Stormwater Engineer
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE JOB:
This is a responsible position involving technical, managerial, professional, administrative, and public relations skills. This position assists the Director of Stormwater Management with technical oversight of the stormwater program, project management, hydraulic and hydrologic design, and maintenance activities of the City. The Assistant Stormwater Engineer is under the direct supervision of the Director of Stormwater Management. Computer skills in various software programs for the utilization of CAD and stormwater modeling & design is beneficial. This position requires work in the office and outdoors.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
Under the Director of Stormwater Management, perform responsible civil engineering design for stormwater improvements. Actively plan and manage stormwater projects. Use computer aided design & drafting and stormwater modeling & design software. Assist in subdivision plan and site development plan review. Assist in the inspection of subdivisions, developments, and new and existing infrastructure (e.g. detention basins, ditches, piping systems, general drainage). Perform surveying for new and existing infrastructure. Prepare engineering plans and cost estimates. Direct contractors and monitor construction projects. Reconcile project pay requests. Project scheduling. Assist in the management of the local National Flood Insurance Program. Assist in management of the Kentucky Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (KPDES) Phase 2 program. Conduct tests on new and existing infrastructure. Respond to drainage complaints. Communicate verbally and in writing to other City personnel and contractors, developers, and the public. Assist in GIS maintenance and update map information (in both paper and computerized formats). Coordinate permitting processes with state and federal regulators. Work outdoors in all types of weather conditions. Perform additional duties as assigned.
1. Degree in Civil Engineering or Civil Engineering Technology, or a combination of significant technical and construction experience with a high school diploma or equivalent GED.
2. Two to Five years’ experience in the field of civil engineering.
3. Must be pursuing PE licensure. Shall possess evidence of the appropriate degree, successful FE (EIT)/PE testing.
4. Possess a valid Kentucky Drivers License.
5. Ability to read, write legibly, and communicate effectively in English.
6. Ability to follow written and oral directions and instructions.
7. Physically capable of performing essential job functions.
8. Computer literate in a variety of software programs relating to engineering and stormwater drafting and design.
9. Ability to meet and communicate with the public in an effective and tactful manner.
10. Neat in appearance, of good moral character, and not convicted of a felony crime.
11. Pass drug screening test
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements or duties does not exclude other work that may be required.
1. Perform specific duties as defined in “Example of duties”.
2. Lift objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
3. Capable of walking at least one (1) mile in unsteady terrain.
4. Operate GPS and conventional surveying equipment.
4. Utilize engineering plans and maps.
5. Prepare engineering plans, maps, and drawings using CAD software and manual methods.
6. Use computer-based design software to perform civil engineering design and hydraulic and hydrological analysis.
7. Physically access work zones to inspect construction of stormwater improvements and other related infrastructure.
8. Work outdoors in all types of weather conditions.
9. Ability to read and interpret construction plans & maps.
10. Work hours other than office hours as required.
11. Perform other duties as assigned.