CITY OF ELIZABETHTOWN JOB DESCRIPTION
JOB TITLE: Maintenance 11 CLASS: 5
DEPARTMENT: Parks and Recreation
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE JOB:
Under the supervision of the assigned Park Manager or other supervisor, the employee in this job serves as a lead performing a variety of duties including the general maintenance and repair of buildings, facilities, and equipment at their assigned Park. This position will generally involve the performance of manual tasks of more than ordinary difficulty requiring skilled and semi-skilled work or special knowledge acquired through on-the-job training or experience. The Maintenance II worker will provide supervision of and assistance to co-workers in the completion of various tasks and day-to-day duties as required. Maintenance II also supervises the maintenance and repair of motorized and other mechanical equipment
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
Meet with the Park Manager or other supervisor to discuss and plan work objectives and relay objectives to work personnel. Perform needed supervision and assist the work crews in the completion of assignments. Assist with safety training and ensure that safety procedures are followed. Maintain knowledge of Park activities and courteously deal with and assist the public. Mow grass as directed.
Operate various vehicles, such as trucks, tractors, and mowers, including those with manual transmissions. Perform various maintenance tasks including general cleaning, restroom cleaning, collecting and disposing of trash, as well as minor electrical, plumbing, carpentry, painting, and masonry work. Utilize various maintenance chemicals. Maintain assorted records and perform administrative duties as assigned by the Park Manager and/or Park Director. Maintain knowledge of changes in recommended safety guidelines for playground equipment and facilities. Routinely inspect and repair playground equipment and surfaces. Perform task above ground using ladders, scaffolds, high-lift equipment, etc. Assist with the proper care of tools, equipment, and materials. Closely inspect facility, grounds, buildings, playgrounds, and equipment for potential problems. Initiate actions and work to correct problems. Assist in the preparation of the Sports Park for public use. Work outdoors in all weather conditions, if necessary. Work special events that may require long work hours at nights, weekends, and holidays. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. High School graduate or equivalent GED
2. Possess a valid Kentucky Driver’s License
3. Candidate must be available and willing to work long hours and varying shifts including nights, weekends, and holidays
4. Ability to read, write and communicate effectively in English
5. Ability to follow and give written and oral directions and instructions
6. Cannot be convicted of any crime, felony or misdemeanor, involving child neglect or abuse
7. Physically capable of performing essential job functions
8. Ability to effectively interact with the public, co-workers, and various public groups
9. Ability to promote a positive self-image and lead by example
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements or duties does not exclude other work which may be required.
1. Perform specific duties as defines in “Examples of Duties.”
2. Operate and maintain equipment and park facilities.
3. Identify and carry out necessary work projects needed for the proper maintenance and operation of the Parks Department.
4. Maintain grounds by mowing, edging, fertilizing, sod work and over seeding.
5. Plant and prune trees and shrubs.
6. Perform assorted janitorial duties.
7. Pick up and dispose of trash and litter.
8. Follow department and City policies and procedures; safety procedures and practices.
9. Utilize proper methods and safety precautions in the performance of duties and maintenance of facilities and grounds.
10. Pick-up and move items weighing in excess of 50Ibs. with assistance.
11. Work courteously and use good telephone etiquette.
12. Shovel snow, gravel, dirt.
13. Use assorted hand tools.
14. Handle money transactions and reconcile cash till and reports.
15. Maintain positive and effective relationship with public and co-workers.
16. Work variable hours and/or shifts.
17. Work overtime as required by supervisor.
18. Be on call as required.
19. Perform other duties as assigned.