JOB TITLE: Operator Trainee – Wastewater Department
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE JOB:
The Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator Trainee is responsible to the Director of Wastewater Treatment for the operation, maintenance, and/or lab analysis of treatment facilities. Combinations of skilled and manual tasks are performed pertinent to the daily operation and maintenance of the plant. Perform analytical testing in accordance with State and Federal regulations. The position requires a general knowledge of sampling techniques, analytical procedures, laboratory safety, reporting requirements, and wastewater treatment. Work is performed at the wastewater treatment facilities, indoors and outdoors and in all types of weather.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
Perform routine maintenance on all plant equipment. Attend and participate in the monthly safety meeting. Perform various labor tasks as required around the treatment plant. Perform ground maintenance to include mowing all facilities, trimming and applying herbicides where needed. Clean and paint equipment when required. Ordering and keeping an inventory of oils and greases needed for all equipment. Perform custodial duties when required. Clean and maintain WWTP vehicles. Maintain treatment plant maintenance shop in a neat and orderly fashion. Maintain effective communication and working relationship with fellow employees. Use tractor and bush hog for plant mowing. Maintain records of all maintenance tasks performed and keep up with maintenance schedules. Work outdoors in all weather conditions. Adjust schedule when required to fill other positions. Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school graduate or equivalent GED.
- Possess valid Kentucky Driver’s License.
- Ability to read, write and communicate effectively in English.
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with other employees, the public, and other government and industry representatives.
- Vision must be 20/20, or correctable to this level.
- Ability to lift 75 lbs.
- Must pass a Respirator Fit Test.
- Ability to use tools and machines in the performance of duties.
- Physically capable of performing essential job functions including walking long distances during shift to check plant operations.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements or duties does not exclude other work which may be required.
- Perform specific duties as defined in “Examples of Duties”.
- Perform additional duties as assigned by the Director of Wastewater Treatment.
- Work overtime as directed.