JOB TITLE: Industrial Mechanic I, Plant Maintenance
STARTING PAY: $19.79 PER HOUR
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE JOB:
This position involves mechanical and electrical work under the general direction of the Chief Electrician or Senior Industrial Mechanic. An employee in this class is involved in the installation, maintenance and repair of all types of equipment both mechanical and electrical, used in wastewater treatment plants, pumping stations and City buildings and grounds.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
Maintain buildings, structures, grounds and equipment. Lubricate equipment and check for malfunctions, replace packing in pumps and valves, replace bearings in pumps, motors, or other equipment, clean out pumps, pipes and perform other plumbing and pipefitting tasks as required. Work under adverse weather conditions, in elevated positions or extreme heights. Lift up to 100 pounds with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 50 pounds. Work in lift stations above and below ground, and work in close proximity to moving machinery. Use gas and or arc welding equipment to heat, cut, braze or weld. Install and setup new equipment. Assist in keeping maintenance records on equipment and fill out work requests in a neat and orderly fashion. Use a wide variety of hand and power tools. Work outdoors in all weather conditions. Perform other work as assigned.
1. High school graduate or equivalent GED.
2. Possess a valid Kentucky Driver’s license.
3. Ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing.
4. Ability to follow written and oral directions and instructions.
5. Have and maintain a Class A CDL operator’s license or obtain license within 12 months of employment.
6. Physically capable of performing essential job functions.
7. Background in electricity, mechanics, welding and pipefitting.
8. Ability to hear and communicate via telephone, e-mail and text messaging.
9. Knowledge of hand and power tools and their proper care and use, as well as knowledge of welding, cutting and brazing.
10. Ability to read and interpret mechanical drawings.
11. Obtain within 3 years of employment a Class 2 Sanitary Sewer Collection System certification.
12. Have and maintain or the ability to obtain within 3 years of employment a Journeyman License in an applicable trade, i.e. Electrical, Plumbing or HVAC
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements or duties does not exclude other work which may be required.
1. Perform specific duties as defined in “Examples of Duties”.
2. Perform additional duties as assigned by the Chief Electrician, Senior Industrial Mechanic or Superintendent of Plant Maintenance.
3. Work overtime as required.