JOB TITLE: Administrative Secretary
PLANNING & DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE JOB:
This position will perform secretarial/clerical, technical, and administrative duties for the Department of Planning & Development. Moderate supervision is received either written or orally from the Director of the Department. Maintains confidentiality regarding work performed and information handled.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
General clerical and office duties including answering telephones, composing and typing correspondence, filing and processing incoming and outgoing mail and other documents; schedule appointments, assist customers and visitors; write up complaints; obtain price quotes for supplies and other materials; responsible for ordering general office supplies; issue purchase orders; handle reporting of fees and other monies received by department; research department files, deeds, property ownership information, and plats; prepare advertisement relating to public hearings and meetings; prepare minutes of meetings; prepare advertisement for bids and bid tabulations, assist with execution of contracts; prepare monthly and annual reports of department activities; perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements or duties does not exclude other work which may be required.
1. Perform specific duties as defined in “Examples of Duties”.
2. Typing, filing, receiving phone calls from co-workers and public.
3. Attain appropriate knowledge of Elizabethtown city government and planning and development department for assisting department head with administrative operations.
4. Establish and maintain office operations.
5. Develop effective working relationship with other employees and the public.
6. Work overtime as required.
7. Operate modern office equipment and produce required reports.
1. High school graduate or equivalent, including or supplemented by courses in filing, typing, computer skills and general office procedures.
2. Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel and use of the Internet.
3. Possess a valid Kentucky Driver’s license.
4. Ability to read, write and communicate effectively in English.
5. Ability to follow written and oral directions and instructions.
6. Ability to exercise initiative to perform ongoing tasks.
7. Neat in appearance and good moral character.
8. At least two years’ experience as a secretary trainee or similar position.
Pass pre-employment drug screen mandatory.